Monday, March 19, 2012

Lamanai

The class went to Lamanai Maya ruin today - here are some student entries of the trip so far (and photos of Lamanai below):

JAYCE: So far it has been an amazing adventure here in Belize. The country is gorgeous and at times the multiple hikes each day seem daunting at first but then become part of the daily experience. I can’t believe how quickly the time flies by, each time I check the clock it’s like being in Belize is a part of a different world entirely, from sun up to sun down and sometimes way before sunrise and way past sundown it is a constant go attitude with hikes, surveys, bird watching, an occasional presentation or field study session and it is just all a dream session. Sometimes being here is so surreal I have to stop and realize where I am and not forget which day it is in my normal calendar, remembering that eventually I will be home in the states with all my family, friends and loved ones who I miss dearly. My greatest challenge today was climbing the Mayan ruins at Lamanai archeological site. I had to conquer my fear of heights, my vertigo which seems to only affect me when I look down from high places and the 45 degree vertical climb. It was absolutely worth it to see what the Mayans have seen and stand from the same perspective they would look out across their nation and their jungle. I am looking forward to the cayes (keys) where I will be snorkeling and enjoying my time near the reef systems and coastline of Belize. I am so glad I came to Belize to experience this world. It will stay a part of my life, always.

HEBERTO: Being in Belize has been awesome. I came expecting a fun time and boy did I find one. I have been so many animals and I have yet to explore some more. I was able to conquer my fears and I held a scorpion on my hand!!! I climbed many trees and my wild side is coming out. I saw a menonite family on a boat. I saw howlers again and was happy to remember the good old aluoatta. Surprisingly I haven’t had many mosquito bites so I am happy. And me and my buddy are rocking the field school! I want to continue learning and studying wildlife and once we get to the cayes and see all the fish the experience will get even better.


Main Lamanai temple
Corrie and Julie on the main Lamanai temple overlooking New River lagoon

Class resting on top of the temple

Julie, Ariane and Deeriann (Belizean student from Galen University) motoring back on the New River

Class photo at Lamanai

Heather Castillo taking a break at Lamanai

No comments:

Post a Comment