Saturday, March 24, 2012

Reef and Mangrove Snorkeling near Southwater caye

Day 9 here on the Belize Field School on Southwater Caye. Lovely weather for our all-day reef and mangrove snorkel today!

JAYCE: Today is the 24th and this trip has flown by! I am amazed at how much we have done in our day to day schedule in such a short amount of time. ATM cave was intense because I did not know how well I would fare with all the climbing and maneuvering due to a recent back injury. I kept my head on my shoulders and paid attention to everything going on inside the cave the higher we climbed. Cave swimming was a new experience for me and I loved it. Yesterday and today will be (for me) the greatest part about this entire field course! South water Caye (Key) is fantastic! Night snorkeling and walking on the tropical beach is just beyond awesome! I am in love with the island we are on but I have loved ones back home who mean so much more to me! I really do miss them, all of them haha. Today will be snorkeling off the reef systems near south water and I am supremely excited. Belize you have been amazing and this truly is a trip of a lifetime!

LUIS: I can’t believe it’s almost over. The amount of diversity present in Belize has been extraordinary and unique. It is almost unbelievable how many ecosystems actually occur in this tiny country. Today we saw the sun rise and tonight we’ll see it set all from the same spot. Last night we explored the beach discovering a plethora of creatures ranging from anemones & worms to seahorses and barracudas. If anyone has the opportunity to come to Belize they should take it because it is definitely worth the chigger and mosquito bites. Belize is truly a paradise but as all paradises it is threatened by the most invasive species of all; humans, which is why we are here. We are studying what needs protection and effective ways of enacting protective measures that are beneficial not only to the quality of natural ecosystems but also to us all. Belize is setting a great example in managing their natural resources but still needs a lot of work and education of the public. Together humanity can make a difference in our own quality of life by taking interest and action with respects to humanities effects on the world. But enough of talk, just Belize It!!

SHAE: It’s our last full day here, and I am definitely not ready for it to be over! We got up early to watch the sunrise then took a nice morning kayak before breakfast. If I could do that every day for the rest of my life I think I would be content (not to mention I would have some awesome shoulder muscles). I am so intrigued with the marine life here on the reefs, I could spend all day out there just swimming around. The people are fun, the fish are awesome, and the food is even better! … this has been an awesome experience that I will never forget, and hopefully I’ll be able to come back someday. See you guys soon! Keep us in your prayers.


Daniel Boykin, studying the fish card and logging fish on the fish list

Dachin's view: "Paradise"

Post-snorkeling boat ride back to Southwater caye for some R&R


Dachin "hello"

Shae and Daniel Boykin on the way to the forereef, Southwater caye in the background
Would you believe Luis never snorkeled in his life before this trip?

IZE at Southwater caye was awesome. (Notice Ed in mid-bite. heh heh...gotcha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment